In this lively concept book a little girl discovers a rainbow of colors in the world around her. Red is a dragon in the Lunar New Year parade, yellow are the taxis she sees on her street, green are jade bracelets and the crunchy kale growing in her garden.
BOOK: WATCH and LISTEN to Miss Anne reading Red is a Dragon: A Book of Colors by Roseanne Thong, illustrated by Grace Lin:
ACTION SONG: “Color Song” by The Learning Station
LEARN: You can watch these videos to learn the colors of the rainbow. Note that they include the colors indigo and violet, giving us some new vocabulary words!
- The “Rainbow” song by Nancy Koppman:
EXERCISE: Learn the colors of the rainbow with Jack Hartmann:
- Each color gets its own workout move!
- “Roy G Biv” by They Might Be Giants will have kids and grownups alike rocking out:
CALMING SONGS: Listen to calming rainbow song. These are nice to use for a transition to a quiet activity or quiet time. Encourage your child to practice their listening skills with these:
- Medley of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “What a Wonderful World” performed by Israel (Iz) Kamakawiwo’Ole
- “Rainbow” by Charlie Hope:
Do you have a rainbow inside you? I think we all do.